A recent article in the popular student online newspaper, The Tab, has shed light on the massive amounts of cash collected from Manchester University from drug fines compared to the minimal amount spent on drug education.

It’s no secret that party culture is as embedded into the university experience as attending (or not attending) lectures. The article discusses in detail UoM’s relentless “zero-tolerance policy” to drugs. 

The student newspaper obtained revealed that between 2016 to 2021, the Uni fined 584 students in halls accommodation on drug-related offences.

With fines ranging from between £100 to £250 per offence, this means the uni has raked in somewhere between £58,400 to £146,000 in fines.

Yet The Manchester Tab can reveal that last year, the uni spent a total of just £1,000 on drug safety education for its over 40,000 students (less than 3p per student).

During this period, it’s been reported that 17 students have been evicted for drug possession. 

The Tab displays their upset with the university not creating an initiative to prevent students becoming homeless and provide the proper support.

The piece compares UoM handling of drug possession to Bristol University, who have a much fairer approach to the issue stating..

We understand that a zero-tolerance stance is harmful and damaging as it prevents students reaching out as they may fear being punished.
“As an institution we believe that a harm reduction stance is in the best interests of our student body and reduces barriers to accessing support.